Life by Chocolate

Chocolate, white, milk, dark, in all its forms forms life. Chocolate truffles, caramels, and other confections are at the core of enjoyment. This is life by chocolate because death by chocolate is the wrong attitude.

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Bread Recipes


Here are two of my favorite bread recipes. I use these all the time at the restaurant. My customers love them. The first one is a simple sweet buttermilk bread.

Sweet Buttermilk Bread

6 cups flour
2 cups buttermilk heated. I usually heat in the microwave for 2 minutes. Hot but not too hot.
2 eggs
1 t sea salt
1/8 cup sugar
2 T olive oil

I have very large industrial mixers. For this bread, I just combine all the ingredients and kneed with the dough hook for 8. Then I let rise for 1 hour. I punch the dough down and let it rise for another 45 minutes. You can put this in the refrigerator overnight in a tupperware if you would like instead of the first rising.

Then I put this into a large bread form, pan, after spraying it with canola oil, of course and let rise again for 30 minutes or until the bread is at the top of the pan.

Blush with cream and sprinkle with coarsely ground smoked sea salt. Yum.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees (turn this down to 350 after the first 20 minutes) and bake until internal temperature is 205F. About 35-40 minutes.

Then with few changes, this becomes my garlic bread.

6 cups flour
1 cups buttermilk heated. I usually heat in the microwave for 1 minute. Hot but not too hot.
1 cup water
1/8 cup garlic
2 eggs
1 t seasalt
1 T sugar
2 T olive oil

Combine all the ingredients and kneed with the dough hook for 8 mins. Then I let rise for 1 hour. I punch the dough down and let it rise for another 45 mins. You can put this in the refrigerator overnight in a tupperware if you would like instead of the first rising.

Then I put this into a large bread form, pan, after spraying it with canola oil, of course and let rise again for 30 mins or until the bread is at the top of the pan.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees (turn this down to 350 after the first 20 mins) and bake until internal temperature is 205F. About 35-40 minutes. For this bread, you need to put in a pan of water for the steam 5 minutes before baking.

BTW, if you have a small kitchen oven rather than big honkin' industrial strength ovens, like mine, or a deck oven, then you might have to bake this a little longer.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home