Life by Chocolate

Chocolate, white, milk, dark, in all its forms forms life. Chocolate truffles, caramels, and other confections are at the core of enjoyment. This is life by chocolate because death by chocolate is the wrong attitude.

Saturday, August 9, 2008

If you can't cut the nougat

you can't make the nougat. Here is a photo exposé, though what I'm exposing, I haven't a clue. This Montelimar nougat is hard to cut. It is very dense. I have some great videos of cutting it but I can't upload them. Here are more still pictures.





For this nougat, you have to use two hands. And chop, press, don't slice. Don't forget to trim the overflow off and the extra wafer paper. If you didn't do a good job rolling out the nougat, here's where you make up for it.

I cut two sizes, one inch by 3 inches and one inch by one and a half inches with a thickness of about one inch.


And remember, if you collapse the whites, make ice cream. I made the last of the nougat ice cream last night. I pitted the cherries and dipped them in untempered chocolate. Yum. If I pitted the cherries, why is the stem still attached? Because I carefully pitted the cherry. I used my hand-dandy cherry pitter and pitted the cherry to one side of the stem and then put the cherry's skin back together and held it all in place with chocolate. Or, even better, fill in the whole that the pitter leaves in the cherry with some homemade marzipan.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

I love making homemade candy. Caramels and toffee are my favorite to make but fresh nougat is really awesome stuff. I like the ice cream idea.

August 12, 2008 at 7:17 PM  
Blogger Mark by Chocolate said...

Good for you. The tough part of caramels is the dipping and decorating. Plus, I flavors such as banana saffron and bacon, maple and banana. Check out, http://www.lifebychocolates.com

Nougat is fun but non of this is easy. Fudge is a very have confection to make properly but everyone makes it at home, though not always well.

Check out the lob for pointers or the website for my finished chocolates and confections. Winter time, I do truffles and various holiday only confections.

Thanks for the comment. Enjoy.

August 12, 2008 at 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home