Life by Chocolate

Chocolate, white, milk, dark, in all its forms forms life. Chocolate truffles, caramels, and other confections are at the core of enjoyment. This is life by chocolate because death by chocolate is the wrong attitude.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Just Talked to Art from Amano Chocolate


I had a long talk with Art Pollard. Terrific. What a nice guy and what a great product. It's nice connecting back to the Valley, even a virtual connection. I was talking to him about his lecithin. He's thinking of using sunflower lecithin rather than soy lecithin. Why? Because of allergies and the controversy with soy. All I have to say is boy, these guys are committed and terrific. I love their bar mold. Nicely tempered chocolate in a beautiful mold. It's elegant. Kudos to them.

As a chocolatier, I look for different aspects of a chocolate, flavor profile, snap, mouth feel, price, and each of these parameters differ wildly as I think of the confections I will make with the chocolate and their, the confection's, flavor profiles.

I'm working with them on getting their Madagascar in bulk. I'd like to run a special using their chocolate. It may be expensive, from a wholesale viewpoint, but retail they are very competitive. Also, he told me that larger quantity purchases to chocolatiers are discounted. I'm there.

Please support Amano. It's very boutique and very good. Enjoy. We did. Digame su esperienza.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi! This is Art from Amano. First, I must say it was great chatting this afternoon. We really look forward to working with you.

As far as the lecithin is concerned, yes, we've been looking at sunflower lecithin (to avoid many of the soy issues). To be clear though, this is only for chocolate for pastry chefs and chocolatiers -- not for our regular bars.

The needs of pastry chefs and chocolatiers are vastly different than the needs of the general public and viscosity issues are always at the forefront. Even so, lecithin may or may not happen for the bulk chocolate.

We deeply care about the quality of our chocolate and being true to the bean and each decision we make depends heavily on what we feel will meet our exacting standards.

-Art

August 5, 2008 at 9:14 PM  
Blogger Mark by Chocolate said...

Ah, yes, thanks for pointing that out. In my previous post, I make it clear that the lecithin was for the bulk chocolate. Indeed, the needs of pastry chefs and especially that elite subset of pastry chefs, elite and good looking subset, ;-), chocolatiers are vastly different than the general chocolate loving public. In any case, I am sure that the result will be terrific.

August 6, 2008 at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home