Life by Chocolate

Chocolate, white, milk, dark, in all its forms forms life. Chocolate truffles, caramels, and other confections are at the core of enjoyment. This is life by chocolate because death by chocolate is the wrong attitude.

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Nougat, O! the marking, O! the cutting




Here are some pictures of me cutting and marking nougat.

Here I am, the terror of Greenville. ;-)

Notice how I use the caramel cutter to mark the nougat. You have to be careful or you will rip it. You could do this with a form. I have them and I use them sometimes. Sometimes I just use the cutter as a gig. And sometimes I cut one perfect nougat and just use that.

Here's a detail.

The hardest part of making any confection, pies, cake, you name it is the cutting. That's what I was taught and that's why I try to get Kim to cut all the pies and cake. She's a wizard. However, I have to cut my own nougat. I do all right. ;-)

Oh, the agony of the cutting.

And a detail of cutting.




And speaking of nougat, Tip Top Country Store has a great picture of me up on their website. Kim took these pictures, by the way. Nice job, honey (nougat)! ;-) I took the top picture of the nougats. Hard to do a white on white shot. Kim suggested we use a colored background for the Tower 'o Nougat you see here.

By the way, I wouldn't work like this normally. This was a little contrived for the shot for the blog. Notice the caramel cutter and other things that are taking up space and are in the way. So, don't do as i blog. I wanted to show the accoutrement as I was working.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

I have been putting it off to long, thanking you for blogging this torrone post! I purchase it every time I'm at the Italian deli.. but now.. :)I will give it a go!

August 7, 2008 at 7:53 PM  
Blogger Mark by Chocolate said...

Have fun. And remember, if you go with the hard torrone, that is, boil the honey with the sugar, you have to break it. I like using an 8 oz ladle for the purpose. Enjoy.

August 7, 2008 at 8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home