Life by Chocolate

Chocolate, white, milk, dark, in all its forms forms life. Chocolate truffles, caramels, and other confections are at the core of enjoyment. This is life by chocolate because death by chocolate is the wrong attitude.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

ChocoVision Customer Service: My Rev X


If you remember, I sent in my Rev X to be fixed in about 15 days ago and I have not heard a word other than it takes longer or costs more if your machine has chocolate in it. Well, that is due to a design flaw of the Rev X. The usual customer service of ChocoVision is not doing well. They could be inundated by returned machines at this time of year. Because I have my beautiful Hilliard, I am only inconvenienced by this rather than devastated. No wonder why Hilliard is not worried about ChocoVision.

Indeed, some of my assistants like the ChocoVision Rev X better because of the convenience but I personally like the solid engineering of the Hilliard. Well, let's see the tally, ChocoVision Engineering isn't that good, the marketing has gone down hill, witness the email fiasco of a month ago. And now, their great customer service has taken a turn for the worse. I wonder if they have fallen on hard times? We'll see. I'll report back in a week or two.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to have found your comments re the Rev X. I've had nothing but trouble with mine. Around Nov/Dec 08 I made numerous calls to their 'chocolateir' (late at night due to time difference and at great expense as I'm in Australia)and no resolution was made. In talking to the chocolatier I felt I had more knowledge than he did. My machine does not hold its temper. And being in Australia I can't get it looked at, and they have offered no answer as to how to fix the problem. I've given up even trying. A few weeks ago I made 1200 chocolates using the little Rev 2 machine as I don't have the confidence in the Rev X to do the job properly.
I'd be interested to hear whihc tempering machines people are happy with and where they are available.

Cheers from Australia!

Jane
Noojee Num Nums

March 12, 2009 at 6:40 PM  
Blogger Mark by Chocolate said...

The Rev X I have, my 5th, I think, was one of their demo machines. I've gone through 5 Revs of this machine and finally I have one that works well.

By hold it's temper, you mean for how long? More than a 1/2 hour, no. Don't expect that. Don't use anything but direct temper, i.e., push the button once. Don't try and use the regular temper feature, pushing the button twice.

We make so much during the day that I use up all the chocolate in the temperer in about 15 minutes or so. So, I don't see this problem of holding temper. You can reasonably expect about 1/2 hour and then it'll go thick. My Hilliard can last about 4 hours. But I thin constantly with 32C untempered chocolate. The 35 lb bowl allows me leeway. I can sometimes do this with the ChocoVision but I have to be very careful.

I also keep the ChocoVision on 90F. My friend Tom keeps his at 93-94 for it to last as long as he needs. He plays with fire though.

Do not use more than a cup of seed and make sure that the chocolate is really at 108 F (42C) The machine lies like a dog sometimes.

I'm very happy with my Hillilard. It's a nice size, 35 lb bowl. I can easily push 250 a day through it. My friend at Denman Island wears by Chocolate Concepts. He has a 400 lb machine. http://www.dmpweb.net/chocolateconcepts/ He's making 10K bars a week.

I use my ChocoVision for my vegan stuff and it works just great. No complaints anymore. Just click on the labels to read the whole story.

Good Luck Jane. Keep in touch. I'd email Joe, he's a good guy, and he'll call you back. I think. He does me but he's local. ;-)

March 12, 2009 at 7:20 PM  
Blogger Mark by Chocolate said...

I meant to say 40C. That was a typo. But 42 is also OK.

March 12, 2009 at 7:23 PM  
Blogger Mark by Chocolate said...

And one more piece of advice, use the dark chocolate setting for milk chocolate. Keep your milk at 88.7 and your dark at 90. For white, use the dark chocolate setting too and keep that at 88.7.

Try that out and with the idea of direct temper and see what happens. I often push the bowl stop and also I raise up the chocolate to 91 or 92 for a few minutes when it starts to thicken and then back it down to my normal temperature when using the chocolate.

I hope that helps.

March 12, 2009 at 7:49 PM  
Blogger Mark by Chocolate said...

And I almost forgot, you have to put something cold, I use marble wine bottle cools, behind the machine to get it to chill faster so you don't get over stirring.

I feel like I'm in a Monty Python skit. ;-) 2, no 3, no 4 things you have to remember.

March 12, 2009 at 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home